Tione di Trento, located 600 m. a.s.l., with about 3630 inhabitants, including the village of Saone, is the center of the Valley Community of Giudicarie (about 35,000 inhabitants).
The Municipality Tione di Trento is a crossroads that leads in three directions: Madonna di Campiglio and Val Rendena, Storo and Valle del Chiese towards Brescia, and Ponte Arche, Giudicarie Esteriori, towards Trento.
Together with the neighboring towns, Borgo Lares and Tre Ville, Tione forms the so-called “Busa di Tione“. Thanks to its central location, Tione is the fulcrum of numerous economic activities, with shops and companies, as well as public and private services and offices.
There are many provincial and regional offices, such as the land registry (catasto and tavolare) as well as the offices of the Community of Giudicarie, the Revenue Agency and the Primary and Secondary Schools of the First and Second Level like the Lorenzo Guetti Institute, which hosts the high schools and the Technical, Economic and Technological Institute, and the Professional Institutes (ENAIP Trentino Professional Training Center, CFP Popular Trento University).
The hospital and other offices of the provincial health authority are also present in Tione di Trento.
Until 1928 it was called Tione, in the local dialect simply Tió. Later it was renamed Tione di Trento, with the territorial aggregation of more autonomous municipalities (Bolbeno, Saone and Zuclo), which became autonomous again in 1952, with the only exception of Saone.
From documents dated 1154, which certify the existence of a parish, it can be deduced that the town certainly has ancient origins, perhaps Roman or prehistoric.
Despite the many fires that broke out over the centuries, it still preserves its historic, especially religious, architecture in buildings.
The most important building, in this sense, is the parish church of Santa Maria Assunta, flanked by the bell tower of 53 meters (18th century).
The most devastating fire was the one in the area of Brevine which broke out on 21 August 1895, which completely destroyed it.
Page edited by the municipal administration